University of Applied Sciences Erfurt
Although only founded on 1st October 1991, the University of Applied Sciences Erfurt follows long-established traditions of training engineers in the city. With around 1000 new students annually and approx. 4500 students (in the winter semester 2007/2008), the University of Applied Sciences Erfurt, one of two universities in the state capital, is a highly attended university in Thuringia. It stands out for its broadly based interdisciplinary range of courses in twelve branches of study.
The original faculties of architecture, civil engineering, horticulture, supply engineering (now service and power engineering), landscape architecture and social welfare (now social studies) , were joined in 1992 by economic science, in 1994/95 by conservation and restoration as well as traffic and transportation, and in 2000 by applied computer science. The range of subjects was further supplemented by forestry and ecosystem management in 2007, and urban and spatial planning in 2008.
New Bachelor's and Master's degree courses in civil engineering and applied computer science were introduced for the first time in the winter semester 2000/01, followed by further courses of study. These are designed to meet the call for modern, practice-oriented training. At the same time, the provision of courses is directed at regional needs and new developments. An example is the in-service Bachelor's degree in childhood education.
Study, teaching, research and academic further education are the essential cornerstones to which the university's autonomous committees, headed up by the Senate, are dedicated. The university "lives out" strong ties with practice in its close contact with companies and institutions. Cooperative partnerships link the university with other universities worldwide. Increasing numbers of international students and lecturers are coming to Erfurt, whilst their German counterparts complete placements or study semesters in countries all over the world.