University of Applied Sciences

Seitennavigation

Springen Sie direkt zu einem der folgenden Seitenbereiche:


Auswahl Sprache, Layout und Schriftgröße


Erfurt University of Applied Science

Hauptnavigation

Weltoffene Hochschulen gegen Fremdenfeindlichkeit

A university with a future

A brief chronicle of the degree courses offered by the University of Applied Sciences Erfurt

Aerial photograph of the UAS Erfurt Campus
Aerial photograph of the campus (Photo: Jörg Behrens)

The University of Applied Sciences Erfurt was founded on 1 October 1991, following a long-standing tradition of engineering training in Erfurt. It initially comprised six departments: Architecture, Social Work, Civil Engineering, Horticulture, Landscape Architecture and Supply Engineering.  The four latter departments evolved from the Engineering Colleges for Horticulture and Civil Engineering, founded in 1946 and 1947. These engineering colleges, together with their buildings, merged to become the University of Applied Sciences Erfurt. Due to the good reputation of these predecessors, many citizens of Erfurt still associate the University of Applied Sciences with these engineering colleges.

On 15 October 1992, the new Business Department (now entitled Business Administration) was opened. At the beginning of the winter semester 1994/95, a postgraduate course in Industrial Engineering started in the new Department of Traffic and Transportation. In the same year, the Department of Restoration (now Conservation and Restoration) was added. Both were real innovations at universities of applied sciences in the eastern federal states.

These courses were supplemented in 2000 with the commencement of the interdisciplinary Bachelor's in Applied Computer Science, which from 2004 on was followed by a Master's course. The start of the 2007/ 08 winter semester saw the commencement of the Bachelor's in Forestry and Ecosystems Management, which continued and adapted the program previously taught by the Schwarzburg University of Applied Forest Sciences (closed in 2008). This course was included in the Department of Landscape Architecture and Horticulture, which has since been designated Landscape Architecture, Horticulture and Forestry. In the winter semester of 2007/08, the Bachelor's in Early Childhood Education was launched, initially as a day release course. This course is based in the Faculty of Applied Social Sciences.

In 2008, the University of Applied Sciences Erfurt adopted a new constitution, which came into force on 1 July 2008. Amongst other things, official titles, election procedures and terms of office were changed. In addition, the university was also restructured: 6 faculties were created by merging former departments. These are:

  • Faculty of Architecture and Urban Planning
  • Faculty of Civil Engineering and Conservation/Restoration 
  • Faculty of Building Services Engineering and Computer Science 
  • Faculty of Landscape Architecture, Horticulture and Forestry
  • Faculty of Applied Social Sciences
  • Faculty of Business, Logistics and Transport

These faculties now form the basic organisational units of the university. Each brings together related disciplines or cooperating courses.

This diverse range of subjects is probably one reason why student numbers remain high and continue to grow at our institution. While other Thuringian universities of applied sciences mostly specialize in technical disciplines, the extensive array of courses on offer in Erfurt are multi-disciplinary and diverse. Moreover, the university responds to the demand for modern, practice-oriented and progressive education for students by continually modifying the courses to fit these needs.


© 2007-2015

www.fh-erfurt.de/index.php?id=303

 

OK

Hinweis
Diese Website verwendet (essentielle) Cookies. Weitere Informationen finden Sie in der Datenschutzerklärung