1. You are here:
  2. Degree Courses and Professional Development
  3. Applications
  4. Prospective students from abroad

Prospective students from abroad

Diversity is important to us at our university. We therefore wholeheartedly welcome international students to our campus. You can find all the information you need for your application on this website.
Please note: Most of our courses and lectures are held in German. In order to successfully complete your application and studies, you will need to have appropriate proficiency in German.

Information from the German government

You can find more information about studying in Germany on the federal government's website.


Applying to FH Erfurt - what you need to know

  • In order to be admitted as a student at the University of Applied Sciences Erfurt, you require a school-leaving certificate that serves as a university entrance qualification, for example:

    • Abitur
    • A-level
    • Baccalauréat
    • Matura

    Your school leaving certificate must...

    •  ...entitle you to study in your home country
    •  ...be comparable to the German Abitur

    The school-leaving qualifications from some countries are not equivalent to the German Abitur. If this applies to your certificate, you must pass a so-called "Feststellungsprüfung". This is an assessment of your suitability to study at a German university. In order to prepare for this examination and your studies in Germany, you usually have to take a one-year course at a "Studienkolleg". This requires a basic knowledge of the German language. Further information can be found on the websites of the individual Studienkolleg, for example in Nordhausen.

    Good to know: You can test whether you can apply directly to a German university with your school-leaving certificate or whether you will need to fulfil additional requirements. The database for foreign education "Anabin" will help you step by step.

  • In order to be able to study at the University of Applied Sciences Erfurt, you sometimes need to have done a pre-study work placement, whose duration will vary depending on the degree course you intend to take. For more information, please check the website of the degree program you have chosen.

  • The University of Applied Sciences Erfurt currently only offers one English-taught degree program (Master's in Sustainable Engineering of Infrastructure).The following English skills are required for this: Level B2 (according to CEFR). You need no German language certificates.

    Therefore, when applying for all other degree courses, you must be able to prove that you have sufficient German language skills (at least level B1).

    You can demonstrate your language skills by submitting proof of one of the following:

    • taking the "Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" (DSH), level 2 or higher
    • taking the "Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache" (TestDaF), at least level 4 in each part of the examination
    • proof of the Goethe-Institut's "Großes Sprachdiplom", "Kleines Sprachdiplom" or Central Advanced Level Examination
    • Abitur from a German school abroad
    • passing the exam "TELC Deutsch C1 Hochschule" (TELC German C1 University)
    • graduation from the German Language Diploma of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany - Second Stage

    Please note: Language certificates from a private language school (e.g. Hartnackschule) are not recognised at the University of Applied Sciences Erfurt.

  • If you already have a German degree (e.g. a Bachelor's degree), please apply via the online application portal of FH Erfurt.

    Applying without a German degree

    If you have not yet obtained a German degree, please use the application portal Uni-Assist.

    For your application you will need certified copies of the following documents:

    • your school leaving certificate
    • proof that you have passed the university entrance examinations if applicable
    • proof of your studies or your degree certificate if you have already studied in your home country
    • the overview of subjects and grades from your prior university studies if you have already studied in your home country
    • proof of German language skills acquired to date (at least level B1)
    • for applicants from China, Vietnam and Mongolia: proof of the certificate of the Academic Evaluation Centre
    • if applicable, proof of pre-study internships already completed

    Attention! Please note the following exceptions:

    If you...

    •  ...are studying as part of a cooperation or partnership agreement
    •  ...are transferring from another German university to FH Erfurt
    • ...applying for a cooperative degree program  

    ...please use the application form for foreign applicants.

  • If you apply via Uni-Assist, you must expect the following costs:

    • 75 euros per application
    • 30 euros for each additional degree course you apply for    

    Refugees can take part free of charge in the Uni-Assist applications procedure. In order to obtain the necessary certificate, you must prove that you intend to study. Please contact the Welcome Project.

  • There are no application deadlines for foreign applicants. You can apply all year round via uni-assist.de, as you often have to attend language courses or a course at a Studienkolleg before starting your studies.

    Please note that it can take about three months to process your application documents, so please allow for this time when planning your visa application.

  • Some courses require a selection procedure because the number of applicants is greater than the number of places available. If the degree program of your choice has a so-called "Numerus Clausus", you need to have achieved a specific minimum grade average on your school leaving certificate. Eight percent of the places in courses with Numerus Clausus (restricted admissions) are reserved for international students.

    Special note for applicants from the PR China, Mongolia and Vietnam

    If you come from China, Mongolia or Vietnam, you must have your certificates examined by a so-called Akademische Prüfstelle (Academic Evaluation Centre).

    Please contact the testing authorities directly for more information:

    Special note for applicants from Morocco

    Only applications with at least "assez bien" (>60 %) on the Baccalauréat de´l Enseignement Secondaire will be accepted at the University of Applied Sciences Erfurt. Graduates of a four-year course of study (holders of a "licence" or "maitrise") at a recognised university are excluded from this regulation.

    Special note for applicants from Syria

    If you do not yet have a B1 German certificate, you can submit a confirmation of enrolment for a language course up to B1 from a German language school.


International Student Admissions

Uni Assist

If you do not hold a degree from a German university, please use the application portal Uni Assist.

Read more

APS India Certificate

On 24 April 2023, the APS in India (Academic Evaluation Center) introduced digitally signed certificates and confirmation letters (DigZert).

Students who successfully pass through the APS verification process as of 24 April 2023 will only be provided with a digital certificate or confirmation letter. These are digitally signed by APS India using an electronic seal software which verifies the authenticity of the signature.

We have put together some FAQs on the topic.

For more information, visit the APS website: https://aps-india.de/faqs/.

Gruppe Studierender

International Office

Advice, information and support for your stay abroad