[Translate to Englisch:]
  1. You are here:
  2. Central Facilities
  3. International Office
  4. Incoming Students

Welcome to FH Erfurt

Are you - or are you planning to be - an international exchange or full-time student at our university? Then you're exactly in the right place. On this website you'll find everything you need to know about applying, who to contact, tips for planning your trip and arriving in Erfurt.

In "Destination Germany: Your compass to studying in Germany" you will find detailed information on all aspects of planning, travelling to and arriving in Germany in order to study at university.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

(More information for international teaching, admin and support staff can be found here.)

International students who come to us for only one or two semesters are known as exchange students.

Becoming an exchange student at FH Erfurt

    Students planning to spend part of their studies (1- 2 semesters) on an exchange program (e.g. ERASMUS+) will have to submit the following additional documents:

    The closing date for applications to become an exchange student at the University of Applied Sciences Erfurt are:

    • winter semester: 15 July
    • summer semester: 15 January
  • You enrol at the Student Admissions Office at the beginning of the semester. To do so, you need to provide proof that you have health insurance and have paid the semester fee. You will then be issued with your student ID card and certificate of enrolment.

    Once you have successfully enrolled, you are entitled to attend lectures and seminars at the University of Applied Sciences Erfurt. As an enrolled student, you are entitled to use all the facilities at our university (library, computer pools, etc.) and those run by Thuringian Student Services (refectories, etc.). In addition, you are eligible for student discounts (e.g. theatre, museums, etc.).

  • In order to complete part of your studies at the University of Applied Sciences Erfurt, you need to have sufficient command of the German language, since most lectures and seminars are held in German. Proof of your German language skills will be confirmed by your home university. It is important that every student is able to follow the lectures.

  • To improve your language skills, you can attend courses in German as a foreign language (DaF) that run during the semester. These courses are offered at the following levels:

    • Elementary level A1/A2
    • Intermediate level B1/B2
    • Advanced B2/C1

    There are courses on specific skills (pronunciation, reading comprehension, listening comprehension, speaking, writing), academic writing and specialist terminology. You can find more information about the courses available on the website of the Language Centre.

  • There are a wide variety of projects and opportunities that can help you meet people and access support. For more details, click here.


International Office

Kevin Rausch +49 361 6700 7061international@fh-erfurt.de Altonaer Straße 25 | 1.E.03


  • When you're looking for somewhere to live in Erfurt, you have the choice of a studio apartment or a room in shared accommodation. The easiest thing is to apply directly to Student Services for a room or apartment. Alternatively, you can also use platforms such as WG-gesucht, which are popular among students.

    You can find more information on our university's accommodation website.

  • All students need to prove they have health insurance when they enrol at university in Germany.

    However, foreign health insurance will only be recognized in Germany if there is a bilateral agreement with your home country. For example, this is the case for all member states of the EU. Find out well in advance whether there such a bilateral agreement exists for your home country and Germany. If not, you will have to take out a German health insurance policy. You should be aware that there are differenes between statutory and private health insurance providers in Germany. Make sure to compare prices and services before signing a contract.

  • Proof of financing is only required for full-time students as a means of demonstrating that they have sufficient funds to cover their living costs while they are studying in Germany. The monthly minimum amount is equivalent to the current state student grant from the German government (so-called "BAFöG").  The minimum amount deposited in your bank account is also the maximum amount that can be withdrawn/transferred out each month.
    The following are examples of acceptable proof of financing: 

    •    evidence of the income of your parents if they are paying for your living expenses
    •    scholarship
    •    bank guarantee
    •    declaration of commitment from a person with permanent residence in Germany that they will pay your expenses

    If you cannot provide one of the above means of proof, you have to set up a blocked account instead. It is called a "blocked account" because you can only use it after you arrive in Germany and take out or transfer a certain amount of money each month.

  • Of course, that's not a problem at all - in fact, it's even adisable if you're staying in Germany for a longer period of timein order to avoid incurring expenses when withdrawing money from your domestic bank account.

  • You can find lots of information about studying in Germany here.

  • The DAAD and the European Union have good databases where you can search for scholarships to help finance your studies in Germany.

    For more general information, you can also visit our university's website on student finance.

  • There is a wide range of advisory services that are available to you at FH Erfurt. You can find a comprehensive list here. Some of the most important include:

    - Students with disabilities: If you are affected by a disability, you may be able to apply for reasonable adjustments to adapt your studies to your needs. Our Diversity Officer is at your disposal to provide advice.

    - Students with children: You can access advice and important information from the Centre for Equal Opportunities and Families.

    - Psychosocial counselling: If you are experiencing a personal or study-related crisis, you are always welcome to contact the psychosocial counselling service at Thuringian Student Services. All consultations and information are treated in the strictest confidence. You do not have to go through crises alone, so please ask for support.

    - Discrimination, radicalization and violence: If you have experienced or observed discrimination in any form, please contact the dedicated office and report it. They will take up the case and support you with further proceedings.

    - Student Advisory Service: Are you struggling with your degree program or unsure about your career prospects? Then get in touch with the Student Advisory Service to arrange a personal consultation.

Advice and Services

Having problems deciding what to study? Having trouble with your courses? We're here to advise and support you! Here's an overview of our services.

read more

Related Areas

Language Centre

Active and lively language learning for your studies, everyday life and career!

Read more

Advising - Supporting - Networking

The Welcome Project provides support for refugees and counsels them on their path to higher education.

Read more
Gruppe Studierender


Zweiwöchiges offenes und kostenloses Treffen für interkulturellen Austausch, Gesellschaftsspiele, Musik und Tischtennis.

Read more
Gruppe Studierender

Fremde werden Freunde

Eine Initiative für Weltoffenheit und Gastfreundschaft, die Patenschaften für internationale Studierende vermittelt

Read more
Gruppe Studierende unterhalten sich

Springboard to Learning

Das Projekt ermöglicht es internationalen Studierenden, an deutschen Schulen Wissen über ihr Land, ihre Sprache und Kultur weiterzugeben.

Read more

FHE goes international

The project actively promotes the implementation of initiatives designed to encourage internationalization

Read more